I found this on AsiaOne Health website.
3-day detox plan By Sandra Cabot
- Jan 04, 2007 The Business Times
Avoid the following foods:
1) Alcohol 2) Sugar 3) Coffee
4) Dairy products - no cow, sheep or goat milk, or any products containing these.
5) Gluten - this is found in wheat, rye, oats, spelt and barley, and all foods containing these. Gluten is hidden in many foods, so you will need to read food labels carefully.
6) Food additives such as artificial colours, flavours, preservatives, artificial sweeteners, MSG, etc.
7) Vegetable oil that does not state cold pressed or extra virgin. Avoid all margarine, partially hydrogenated or hydrogenated vegetable oil.
8) Red meat, chicken, fish and eggs. For three days, you will obtain protein from vegetarian sources such as legumes, grains, nuts and seeds. You should also drink two litres of pure water - spring, mineral or filtered - each day. Also take one or two glasses of raw vegetable juice each day. You may include regular tea, green tea and herbal tea in your diet. Tea should be free of sugar, artificial sweeteners and dairy milk. You can use stevia or xylitol to sweeten tea.
9) Use beneficial fats such as olive oil, flaxseed oil, avocados, coconut milk and raw, unsalted nuts and seeds. You must have one raw vegetable salad each day, either for lunch or dinner. You may include sea salt in your diet; it is preferable to regular table salt. In place of dairy milk, you may use rice milk, soy milk, almond milk, quinoa milk or coconut milk.
Upon rising, drink two large glasses of purified water with the juice of half a lemon or lime. Fifteen minutes later eat breakfast.
One bowl gluten-free muesli with non-dairy milk and a chopped pear.
One bowl rice porridge with 2 tablespoons chopped nuts sprinkled on top, with non-dairy milk and fresh berries.
Two pieces gluten-free toast with baked beans, served with a chopped apple.
Pasta with herbed vegetables (see recipe below), served with a small salad.
Brown rice and red lentil salad with tomatoes and cucumbers.
Sandwich using gluten-free bread, with hummus, grated carrot and sultanas.
Chick pea curry, served with brown rice (see recipe below)
Kidney beans with sauted spinach, served with brown rice.
Brown rice pilaf served with garden salad.
Pasta with herbed vegetables (serves 4)
1 packet gluten free pasta
1 eggplant, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup olive oil
2 button squash, chopped
1 onion, chopped
1 cup diced pumpkin
2 cloves garlic, minced (optional)
3 very ripe tomatoes, chopped
1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped
1 tsp dried oregano
Sea salt & black pepper to taste
Cook the pasta according to packet directions.
Saute the onion, garlic and pumpkin in olive oil for 5 minutes.
Add remaining ingredients, except the pasta; cover and simmer for 25 minutes.
Serve the vegetable mixture over warm pasta.
Chick pea curry (serves 4)
1 tin chick peas
1 tbsp olive oil
1 onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, finely chopped (optional)
1 tbsp grated ginger (optional)
2 tsp turmeric
2 tsp cumin
2 tsp sweet paprika
1 tsp curry powder (optional)
1 cup vegetable stock
1 Swede or turnip, cubed
2 cups cubed pumpkin
2 button squash, chopped
1 can tinned tomatoes, chopped
Cook the onion, garlic and ginger in oil for 5 minutes.
Add spices and cook a further 2 minutes.
Add all the other ingredients except the squash; simmer covered for 20 minutes.
Add the squash and simmer a further 10 minutes.
Serve with brown rice and garnish with fresh coriander.
Skin clearing juice
This vegetable juice will help improve the detox abilities of your skin.
1 green apple
1 handful endive or spinach
1/2 lemon, peeled
1 handful parsley
Pass all through a juicer and drink immediately.
Who shouldn't do a detox at home?
Most people who are in relatively good health can perform a detox by themselves at home. There are some groups of people who should not do a detox without supervision - they include diabetics, people with liver or kidney disease, cancer or other serious disease. Pregnant or lactating women should not undergo a detox.
This article first appeared in The Business Times Dec 30, 2006.