This soup, although the main ingredient is dried Pollock, the other key ingredient is radish. This is a traditional dish that is still very popular in Korean. This is known to be good for health and has healing effect. Check it out if you'd like some variation from the Chinese Radish Soup. Enjoy!
Ingredients (for 2 servings):
2 oz (60 grams) dried shredded pollock, radish, garlic, fish sauce (or salt), water, green onion,sesame oil, egg, and water
1. Take 2 oz (60 grams) of dried and shredded pollock from a package and tear each strip into thin pieces by hand. They should be about 2 ½ inch long (6 cm).
*tip: 1 package of dried shredded pollock that I use in the video weighs 150 grams (about 5 oz), so you could make 5-6 servings with 1 package.
2. Peel a radish and slice it into small pieces (2 x 3 inch and 1/8 inch thick) to make 2 cups' worth.
3. Slice 2 stalks of green onions. Mince 4 cloves of garlic. Beat 1 egg in a small bowl with a fork. Set them all aside.
4. Heat up a pot and add 1 tbs sesame oil.
5. Add the dried pollock strips and the minced garlic to the pot and stir it for 30 seconds with a wooden spoon.
6. Add 7 cups of water and the radish.
7. Close the lid and boil for 20 minutes over high heat.
8. 20 minutes later, open the lid and add 2 tbs fish sauce.
9. Lower the heat to medium-low and simmer for 2-3 minutes.
10. Open the lid and pour the beaten egg into the boiling soup.
*tip: Don't stir the soup until the beaten egg is cooked and floating.
11. Turn the heat off and add the green onion.
12. Stir it with a ladle so the green onion is cooked a little by the boiling soup.
Serve with rice and side dishes including kimchi.